The Grand National kicks off on the 8th of April 2017 but are you prepared for the biggest racing event of the season? Unless you have been living in a cave for the past few weeks, we imagine you already have an idea of who your favourite is going to be and what bets you will put down. If you are planning on watching but haven’t yet thought about having a flutter because you are too busy spreadbetting, then what are you waiting for?
For those of you that already have a game plan, here are some fascinating bits of trivia to impress your friends with on the day, at the bookies, or just over a pint or two in the pub. Read on to find out more!
- Did you know that the winner of the first ever Grand National was a horse called Lottery? It came in at 5-1 and the race was held way back in 1839!
- The course is over 4 miles long and the horses and jockeys must navigate 30 jumps of varying heights to reach the finish line.
- The Grand National is an integral part of British culture and attracts a whopping 154 visitors over the three-day schedule
- Did you also know that over 600 million people globally will tune in to watch it on the television?
- Over the three-day event, revellers will consume an impressive 42,000 shots of vodka and over 6,000 cocktails. That is one helluva hangover!
- To line their stomachs in preparation for all of that booze, visitors will eat an astonishing 4,000 lamb rumps, and (being British) over 63,000 cups of tea.
- The average speed for horses during the event is 30mph and the most ever competitors in one race was 66, although nowadays it is limited to 40.
- Whilst the majority of jockeys are male, you do occasionally get some women riders. The first one was in 1977 and her horses name was Barony Fort.
- Out of the whole population of the UK- nearly 60 million people- almost 50% will bet on a horse racing in the Grand National.
- Out of that percentage of betters, did you know that only 1/3 are female. Come on ladies’ sort it out, they don’t call it Ladies Day for nothing!
There you have it, some fantastic facts to dazzle your friends with on the run up to the big event. But when you aren’t sharing your gems of knowledge with your buddies, co-workers and family members, we would suggest that you put some serious time into figuring out who you are going to put your hard-earned money on in this year’s race. You have to be in it to win it so be sure to get involved, and who knows, with any luck you could end up picking a winner!